Installing a swimming pool is a major undertaking. It can be stressful to see your backyard torn up, a huge hole in the ground, but it can be much more difficult to deal with if you have no understanding of the process and do not know what to expect. To save yourself a “jump into the deep end”, begin the project by interviewing several prospective Contractors. This person and his team will be in your backyard for what could be weeks. Not only do you want to have a certain level of comfort with your Contractor personally, but you want to have a thorough understanding of what his vision is for your project and the way he will manage his team through the construction process.
The following ten questions should serve as a guideline through this interview process. These questions are designed not only to help you get to know your Contractor but also serve to better inform you, the customer:
1. In general, what does your process include to build a pool? This will not only give you a general overview of the construction process, but an idea early on of exactly what the building package will and will not include.
2. What is this best design that fits my vision and the area? It is time to get specific. Now is the time to present to the Contractor with your vision for the project and to make it clear what you want. This is also a good opportunity to rely on his suggestion based on his years of expertise.
3. What is the best self-cleaning option? As the customer, you must weigh your Contractor’s recommendations against what will provide you the cleanliness, cost, and maintenance schedule that fit your needs.
4. How will the plumbing work? The more you know about the inner workings of your pool, the easier it will be for you to maintain.
5. What options for decorations do you provide? (example: tiles, stones, or pavers)
6. Do you provide additional services such as landscaping, decks, ect.? If not, do you have a company you work with or could recommend?
7. Now that the plan is laid out, what will be your specific plan for this project? Gain a clear understanding of the process, including the basic construction and permit needs.
8. What is the final price? Are there any “unknowns” that could result in additional costs as the construction progresses?
9. What is the schedule for the project? What day will you begin and how long will the process take? Are there any factors such as weather that may slow the process down? And if so, how do you manage around those types of situations?
10. What should I do to prepare?
Remember, this pool will be your oasis. Be sure to remain fully engaged during the process. Before you know it, you and your family and friends will be relaxing on the deck enjoying the sights and sound of your beautiful new pool.
I truly hope you enjoy the new swimming pool… have fun.